Monday, May 12, 2014

Ben's Tree

I believe I have mentioned Ben in previous posts.  Ben was a friend and housemate of my son at the University of Vermont.  Last fall, on his way home to Boston for Thanksgiving vacation, Ben died in a car accident due to slippery roads.  Although I can not claim to having known Ben well, I enjoyed conversation with him many times on my visits to my son over the last couple of years.  But even though I did not know him well, I still cannot shake the tragedy of his untimely death.

At noon today, a memorial tree planting was to take place at UVM.   

Doubtless many of you knew, or were influenced by, Benjamin Mohla. Ben was a kind, hilarious person and a phenomenal friend. To share some of the great memories he provided us with, and as a means of commemorating him, we invite you to join us in the planting a White Oak tree outside of the Aiken Center on the afternoon of May 12th, which would have been Ben’s 22nd birthday.  The tree will be planted as part of the native landscape installation for the Rubenstein School’s Greening of Aiken Project.

What a grand tree!  I think it was a fitting selection to honor Ben.

As is often the case, I turn to poetry when I need to process something emotional.  And so it is today.  My go-to poet for poems of nature is Mary Oliver, whom I was fortunate to have critique my own poetry while an MFA student at Vermont College.  And I found this:

When I Am Among the Trees

When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
   but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.

And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."


Well, if that isn't Ben, I don't know what is.  To go easy, to be filled/ with light, and to shine.  Shine on, Ben, shine on.  I am in love with your shining memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment