Sunday, May 11, 2014

Lady's Mantle

I guess I'd read in some magazine that Lady's Mantle (alchemilla mollis) makes a good border plant in perennial gardens, and I was able to find some at a nearby nursery.  That was a few years ago.  I have never regretted that purchase.  Lady's mantle is dependable, predictable, and just a beautiful green.  But the best thing about Lady's Mantle is the way it holds on to dewdrops.  I think you can see them in the picture, yes?  Go ahead, click on the picture to make it larger.  See them?  In the morning, Lady's Mantle glistens with dewdrops, little crystalline jewels flirting with the sun.

Apparently, Lady's Mantle has some medicinal properties.  Specifically, it can help with menstrual cramps.  (Wish I'd known that about 50 years ago.)  The name Alchemilla comes from the Arabic 'alkemelych', alchemist, bestowed by olden writers because of the wonder-working powers of the plant. Like many flowers, this plant was associated with the Virgin Mary in the Middle Ages.  Many believed that alchemical virtues lay in the subtle influence the rich accordion foliage imparted to the dewdrops that lay within its leaves.  These dewdrops were used in many a mystic potion. In Sweden, an old authority states that if placed under the pillow at night the herb will promote a good night's sleep  (www.anniesremedy.com).


I will let you know if I have a good night's sleep.

But back to those dewdrops.  These beads of water were considered by alchemists to be the purest form of water. They utilized this water in their quest to turn base metal into gold. Hence the name Alchemilla (Wikipedia).  Well, then, I guess I have some alchemy to attend to.

No, not really.  If a mantle is something that covers, envelops, or conceals, I think I will let the Lady's Mantle keep its secrets.  It is enough for me to witness the magical dewdrops every morning on my garden walk.  It is enough for me to love.

1 comment:

  1. The flowers,a lovely chartreuse color, make a great addition to all bouquets and yes they balance the rain and dew like a nasturtium.

    ReplyDelete