Sunday, March 30, 2014

Flight

No, it's not that I am in love with flying.  There is nothing lovable about being confined to an uncomfortable seat in Economy Class (and let's start calling it what it really is, folks . . . steerage) for hours.  But I am in love with the idea of flight and how it can change my landscape in a relatively short time.  Don't get me wrong.  I also love a road trip and the long and languid way in which it can change my landscape, as well.  But sometimes, you just want to get there fast.  Flight is amazing.

Although the drive to the airport, the check-in, the security hassle (happily, I was TSA Pre-checked this time), the boarding, and all of that can take hours, the actual flight from New Jersey to Florida was just a little over two hours.  These palm trees and warm breezes are a welcome change, especially since there is a sleet and freezing rain advisory at home tonight.  Yes, at the very end of March.

The book that I brought with me on the plane was titled, oddly enough, The Book of Dead Birds by Gayle Brandeis.  I did not pick up on the possible foreboding when I selected the book from Jenna's collection.  I am now relieved, however, that the bird I flew in, a brand new Airbus 320, arrived safely.  Especially since Katrina made me watch the first episode of Lost tonight with that terrible plane crash.

Some people say that they can fly in dreams.  I have never recalled doing that.  But many times, I have been able to levitate, to move myself from one place to another by extreme concentration.  And it seems so very possible to be able to do that in my waking life, I am somewhat puzzled why I can't.  Perhaps it's just a memory.  Or a promise.

Anyway, here I am, small miracle.  Coffee at the kitchen table, watching the birds of Florida in flight outside my window.  Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment