Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Laziness

I was going to look for a jazzy quote to begin this post, but I was too lazy.

The laziness kicked in as soon as I woke up this morning.  I yawned through my usual morning routines (coffee, papers, puzzles, breakfast, dishes) and then, at the point where I would normally determine what the task(s) of the day would be, I buckled under the weight of laziness.  I just didn't want to tackle anything.  I paid one bill, folded a load of laundry, fed the cat.  Still no motivation.  Played a couple of online Scrabble games, checked my email, took care of some cyber business.  Ugh.  I just don't want to DO anything!  So I watered the plants while I tried to talk myself into a project.  I was still thinking about it when I filled the bird feeder and again when I sealed the countertops.  What is wrong with me?  Why am I such a slug?

By the time I organized the CD cabinet, I was really upset with myself and my lack of productivity.  Even running the vacuum failed to inspire me.  In frustration, I completed my daughter's income taxes and updated my engagement calendar, cursing myself for not planning ahead.  By now, half the day was over, and what had I accomplished?

Sometimes, when I am this angry with myself, it helps to punch some pillows, which I did while changing the sheets on my bed.  And then, halfway through recycling the newspapers and junk mail, I had an epiphany . . . it's OKAY to be lazy sometimes.  Isn't it?  Not being sure, I googled "laziness" and found an article in Psychology Today called The Lure of Laziness by Nando Pelusi, Ph.D.  After slogging through a lot of psychobabble about procrastination and short-term exigency and immediate returns and impulsivity and instant gratification, I got to the end of the article and found this:

Relaxation differs from laziness in that it is a reward for a completed task.  Let yourself relax after a period of sustained effort.

Well, I did fold the laundry, right?

So at 3:00 in the afternoon, I sat down in the reclining loveseat that faces the birdfeeder and I opened a book.  And I fell in love.

Call it what you will.

1 comment:

  1. You accomplish more on a lazy day than I do on some good days. :D

    ReplyDelete