Monday, January 5, 2015

The Camera in My Pocket

I may be the last person you know who finally made the switch from a flip phone to a smart phone.  I've had my used iPhone for a few months, but I have only taken one picture with it.  I still prefer my little Canon PowerShot SD600 Digital ELPH.  I'm not sure how long I've had it, but long enough that they don't even make the memory cards for it anymore.  I found some for sale on Amazon and ordered several, because I don't want to part with my little camera.

Five days into the new year, I am still taking a walk every day.  I've been able to walk in a different location each time.  I think there's less chance I will get lazy about this if I mix it up a bit.  When I walk, I put my phone in one coat pocket and my camera in the other.  Because you never know what you might see.  (Or if you'll need to call 911 because you fell into a ditch.)

The temperature dropped today, and the wind was  gusting at 25 mph.  I dressed in many layers and even wore a hat, something I usually avoid doing.  With a scarf wrapped around my face, sunglasses on, and my hood up, I'm confident that I was unrecognizable to anyone I might run into.  If they wondered who the crazy-looking lady was, they would never guess her to be me.  I drove over to the township park not far from my home and walked the loops that circle the park's perimeter.

It was a good walk, and I stopped a couple of times to take a picture.  I like to look at a landscape and frame it in my mind before I aim my camera.  And I usually like the result.  The truth is, I am not a photographer.  I wouldn't know what to do with a sophisticated camera.  But with the little Canon in my pocket, I can capture scenes that strike me as evocative.  And then, when I upload the images to my computer, I can fall in love with the moment all over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment