Friday, January 23, 2015

The Penultimate

We are all birds, hungry for something, but willing to surrender habit for change when it's time to do so. I wrote that yesterday, even surprising myself with the revelation.  On this, my penultimate post, I want to take advantage of an opportunity to offer a change to my loyal readers.  You may be few in number, but you have been 95% responsible for my having nearly completed this challenge to fall in love with something every day for a year.  Admittedly, there were times when I just wanted to bag the whole thing.  It was fear of disappointing you that kept me going.  I will be forever grateful for your presence in my life, your supportive comments, and your friendship.

So here's what I'm thinking.  I've kind of gotten into a habit of writing everyday, and after the blog ends tomorrow, there will be a void to fill.  Perhaps you will feel that void, too.  Some of you have asked that I continue, but after finding 364 things to fall in love with, I'm kind of running out of ideas.  I don't mean to suggest that there aren't a gazillion more things with which to fall in love, but rather, that I am weary of leafing through my previous posts every day to make sure that I haven't already written about a particular thing!  That actually happened a couple of times over the year, and I had to scramble to revise before anyone caught on!  So, no, I am not going to continue this blog.  I committed to a year, and after tomorrow's post, I will have met that commitment.  So that will be that.

I have never written fiction.  As a writer, I studied poetry.  This blog was neither, but I think there's a chance that it has prepared me to attempt fiction-writing.  With the encouragement of a few of you, I think I might be ready to give it a try.  (Note my language here:  think, might, try . . . clearly, I am not convinced of this idea!)  Anyway, I have enjoyed having an audience throughout this blog, and I have been thinking about how I could continue that.  So here is my germ of an idea:  I would like to attempt writing a novel, but I would like that attempt to be an interactive one.  In other words, I would like your input, your ideas, your critiques, your encouragement.  If you think you might be interested in this collaborative effort, keep reading.

I envision this:  I set up a restricted blog site.  You would need a code to have access.  As I develop various components (setting, characters, voice, etc.), I would post them and request your input.  Your ideas will help me hone these elements of the story.  And once I actually begin writing the chapters, I would look for your reactions and suggestions.  Together, we will write The Great American Novel!  Or, more realistically, we'll just have some fun.

So what do you think?  If you would like to join me in this effort, comment here or send me an email or a Facebook message.  (Please include your email address.)  If and when I am ready to begin, I will contact you with the particulars.  That will not be tomorrow; I am going to take a little break before I dive in again.

And please do not feel obligated!  Maybe you are ready to put this year of falling in love to rest, too.  I understand.  Take your time thinking it over.

Today I am in love with this penultimate post, because it postpones the end one more day.  See you tomorrow.

2 comments: