Friday, January 2, 2015

Wildlife

Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge was established to conserve and enhance populations of wildlife and their habitats, to protect and enhance water quality, and to provide opportunities for wildlife-dependent recreation and research. The refuge conserves the biological diversity of the Wallkill Valley by protecting and managing land, with a special emphasis on forest-dwelling and grassland birds, migrating waterfowl, wintering raptors, and endangered species. The North American Waterfowl Management Plan identifies the Wallkill River bottomlands as a priority focus area for waterfowl management within New Jersey.
Jenna and I took a walk on the Wood Duck Nature Trail in the Wallkill River National Wildlife refuge this afternoon.  I told her that I wanted to walk for at least 40 minutes.  The next thing I knew, we were at the end of the trail, 40 minutes had passed, and we still had to walk back.  I commented on the difference between walking by oneself and with another person, how when I am by myself, I am aware of the time, but when I am with someone else, it passes by without my even being aware of it.  She responded with a reprimand by Henry David Thoreau, who felt that he was not one with nature unless he was alone within it.

And that's true.  I might have been more observant if I'd been by myself.  But I relished the company of this daughter who will be returning to her home in Vermont in two days.

As for wildlife, other than a few birds, we didn't see too much wildlife.  But we knew it was there, as we passed a beaver dam, several nests in the scrub bushes, a duck blind, and all the posted signs informing us of whose habitat this actually was.  We were winter intruders in a world that did not belong to us.
The stark beauty of this wildlife refuge, the lowering winter sun, the gradual insistence of ice . . . it was peaceful and deliberate.  This is a place to which I will return.  By myself, but with the companionship of the hidden wildlife that calls it home.  And with the memory of an afternoon stroll with someone I love.

1 comment: