Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Busy Days

There's nothing like a busy day to distract one from whatever sadness or worry might want to dominate.  So if, in one day, two of your cars are in need of repair and your house is screaming at you for repair, redecorating, or just plain cleaning, you need to rally . . . and you won't be sorry.

So today, one car was at my local mechanic's and I had to get the other one to a special mechanic (for a "special" problem).  As the latter was scheduled for later in the day, I somehow conjured up a burst of energy to tackle some cleaning jobs upstairs before I had to take the car over to the next town.  As I got involved in cleaning my son's bathroom, I found other things that needed to be done, primarily involving paint.  And once I'd painted the heat registers in his bathroom, it just made sense to paint the heat registers in his bedroom.  Of course, that involved moving his furniture around, vacuuming up the cat hair that had accumulated under his bed, and washing anything in that room made of fabric.  (I should add that I was quite happy to find, in a corner of the room, a sock I'd been missing for several months.  I guess it got trapped in his clean sheets when they were in the dryer or something and, when I was making his bed, it escaped to the nether corner of his room.)

By the time I'd finished painting the registers, it was time to shower and head to the next town to drop off my car.  And while I was waiting for my ride, the call came from my local mechanic, assuring me that nothing is wrong with my Jeep.  (Best news ever.)  So when Jeannine picked me up, we headed straight for the Jeep and then met up again at our favorite happy hour bar for a drink and a bite to eat.  Two hours of chatting away, wine and pizza, and life is good.  (The fact that we mistakenly tipped 100% was not a problem . . . I've known the bartender since she was four . . . ) 

So the day is done, and I never had a chance to whine or "reflect" or contemplate the Universe.  It was a good day.  I intend to repeat the "busyness" tomorrow, keep the Sad Gods at bay.

It's a lesson I seem to have to learn over and over again.  But that's okay.  I am in love with whatever it is that keeps me balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment