Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Ceiling Fans

There's probably a group of people who are committed fans of ceilings, but I am not in love with them.  I am, however, in love with ceiling fans.  This realization quite nearly hit me over the head this afternoon.  Literally.

Today I continued the busy day philosophy, as it worked so well yesterday.  No painting today, but my work did involve a ladder, a vacuum, and vinegar.  Cleaning my son's room involves vacuuming and washing the log wall that makes up 1/4 of his wall space.  His room is on the second floor, and the ceiling is the roof, so it's a peaked ceiling.  To reach the logs at the peak, a ladder is required, so there I was, up on the ladder with the vacuum in hand, when all of a sudden, a whirring noise sounded awfully close to my head.  Ah, yes!  The ceiling fan that I forgot I'd turned on!  It didn't take me long to realize how close I'd come to being hit in the head with the rotating blades and what an ouch! that would have been.  I mean, I don't think decapitation was a possibility, but nonetheless, I felt pretty certain that I'd dodged a bullet . . . or a ceiling fan blade anyway.

It was in that moment that I fell in love.  For one thing, I felt it was appropriate to pay homage to the ceiling fan that didn't kill me, and for another, the near-miss made me think about ceiling fans and what they do for me.

There is no air conditioning in my log home.  (Installing it would be a wiring nightmare.  Plus, it's not that necessary, as a log home stays cool enough on warm days.)  So I have ceiling fans throughout the house.  Ten of them, to be exact.  The bedrooms all have them, of course, and I think there is nothing as lovely as sleeping with the fans on.  Their noise is gentle, the breezes they generate are gentle, and the way they can lull me to sleep is gentle.  As the nights are starting to become warmer, I am more inclined to turn on the fans these days.  Before long, that will become routine.  Summer nights, windows opened wide, and the cooling breeze of the ceiling fans!

What's not to love?  (Just be careful when on a ladder.)

No comments:

Post a Comment