Saturday, June 28, 2014

Mother Nature

This is one of those posts in which I am going to try to convince myself to fall in love with the title character.  Because, you know, you can't mess with Mother Nature. 

Here's my inspiration today:  Several weeks ago, I entered a "contest" run by a local magazine for exceptional kitchen gardens.  Those of you who know me know that I take some pride in my vegetable garden, although there are still some who think I was a fool to demo that inground pool.  The other day, I received an email from the magazine stating that my garden was "approved" for the contest and will I be available on September 7 when they want to come for a "tour."  Sure, why not?  I went to their website  (www.dirt-mag.com) to see my competition.  There are 23 gardens featured.  (Why is mine last, I wonder?)

But here's the thing.  In my submission, I included a couple of pics but directed the editors to one of my Facebook photo albums for more pictures.  Not recalling what pics were there, I took a look myself at an album I titled Summer Solstice Garden.  So I'm looking at the pictures, and I'm thinking, "Why did I title this album Summer Solstice Garden?  Clearly, these pictures were taken much later in the summer!"  And then I checked the date:  June 20, 2012.  WHAT???  Comparing the garden in those pictures to my garden today, June 28, 2014, and the difference is startling!  Mother Nature, WTF???

Oops.  Sorry, Mother.  Pretend I didn't say that.  But seriously, you really messed things up this year.  I don't grow corn, but I doubt if any corn in the county is going to be knee-high by the Fourth of July.  We must be at least two or three weeks behind where we should be this year!  How am I supposed to love you when you do these nasty things?

Because how can I not?  I have to believe.  I have to believe that I will be eating grape tomatoes in August, that I will have a gazillion green beans to freeze for the winter, that my basil will be abundant enough to make lots and lots of pesto, that there will be enough onions, carrots and potatoes to get me through the winter, and that  I will consume so much squash and broccoli and kale that I will be satisfied until next summer.  I have to believe that there will be Brussels sprouts aplenty after the first frost.

And if I win this contest, I will know that you believe in me, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment