Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cat's Purr

We have nothing equivalent.  Sure, we can coo and whimper and even gurgle or moan to show our contentment or pleasure, but those "noises" don't even come close to a cat's purr.  My Google search tells me that "scientists have demonstrated that cats produce the purr through intermittent signaling of the laryngeal and diaphragmatic muscles. Cats purr during both inhalation and exhalation with a consistent pattern and frequency between 25 and 150 Hertz."  So that clears that up.

I think some things just should not be questioned, deciphered, or analyzed.  Cats purr.  That's all.

My cat of 12 years has not been feeling well these past couple of days, and I am puzzled by her symptoms, so we are likely off to the vet tomorrow.  Cassie has never been sick, ever, so this is new territory for us.  The one thing that is holding me together through this bewilderment is her purr.  There is a theory that, in addition to showing contentment, a cat's purring strengthens bones and promotes healing.  Either way, I am grateful for her purr when I check on her and coo loving words to her and pick her up and pet her.  I will be doing this all evening.

But imagine if we could purr!  Imagine if it was not something we could turn on or off, but rather just something that automatically happened when we were feeling happy.  Or when our bones needed some strengthening.  ("No, dear, I am still really mad at you.  My bones just need a boost.  Do not think that my purring means you are out of the doghouse.")

And, by the way, why is a doghouse a place for punishment while a cathouse is a place for pleasure?

But I digress.

My cat is ill.  I feel helpless.  Somehow, her purring tells me not to worry, that she understands that when I put her in a cage and then in the car tomorrow to take her to a strange place that is sterile and cold, that I am doing so because I love her.  Her purring says, "It's okay, Mom.  I will trust you."  Oh, Cassie, it is I who trusts you!  I trust you to reassure me that I am loved, which you do every time your purr reaches 50 Hertz or higher.  Keep it coming, Sweetie Pie, and I will do what I can to make you better.

1 comment: