Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Scrabble

Scrabble is a nerd's game.  I have anywhere between six and ten Scrabble buddies online, nerds all.  Well, maybe I should clarify that, because we are not only nerds.  We are cool, too.  The nerd part comes in when you consider someone who can feel almost orgasmic at a bingo, get depressed when the sidebar says "Their Turn" instead of "My Turn," and has a love/hate relationship with JO, QI and ZA.  I am guilty of all of those, and I'm pretty sure my Scrabble buddies are, too.

Of course, I grew up playing Scrabble on a board with wooden tiles.  But even then, you could divide a classroom into those who played Scrabble and those who didn't.  It wasn't like Candyland or Uncle Wiggly, which most friends would play.  Scrabble was for the kids who also enjoyed Go to the Head of the Class.  (By the way, I still have my GTTHOTC game from 1957.)  My best Scrabble buddy back then was Peggy, who was also my best friend and lived next door, so we racked up quite a few games.

In my 20s, I met Korey, a Scrabble nerd, but she elevated the game to a whole new level.  In Korey's Scrabble world, every word had to have something to do with sex, which basically meant that once you played a word, you had to justify why it was a sexy word.  Only creative nerds could follow Korey's rules.  Like I said, we were in our 20s.

Online Scrabble spoils you.  No arguments over whether a word is a word, instant shuffling ability, AND you can chat while you play!  I notice that many of my Facebook friends play something called "Words with Friends," which they tell me is just like Scrabble.  They have invited me to play.  I have not accepted their offers.  Scrabble is Scrabble.  And sometimes my Scrabble friends are my Scrabble enemies.  No, not really.  I am at that point where I don't really care whether I win or lose; I am just in love with playing.

After almost five years of playing Scrabble online, my "Victory Percentage" is only 65% with 1055 wins and 543 losses.  My Best Word Score was PROMISEE, which spanned two DWs and scored 158 points.  My Best Game Score was 635 and I have had 561 bingos.  Don't ask me how many Sexy Scrabble games I won when I played Korey because we didn't keep track.

And now, if you will excuse me, there are Scrabble games waiting for me.  I love it.


2 comments:

  1. My sister is a scrabble nerd and has gifted each of us with a framed scrabble board of words that reflect our lives. Such an awesome gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Scrabble ...No, I really do LOVE Scrabble !

    ReplyDelete