Friday, February 7, 2014

Roasted Veggies

I do not consistently enjoy cooking.  I am in awe of people in the food industry who cook every day and look forward to the next day of cooking.  For me, it is a labor-intensive, exhausting endeavor, one that I would usually rather avoid.  And living alone, I can avoid it more often than you would think.  But that does not mean that I rely on fast food or processed ready-meals or junk.  My "cheaters" would be scrambled eggs loaded up with veggies or pasta with frozen garden green beans and homemade sauce.  Or I'll cook something that will last for several days and is so good that I don't get tired of eating it every night.

And that's how it is with roasted veggies.  So today, needing some love , I got out my paring knife and went to work.  Stored from my garden harvest:  carrots, red potatoes, and onions.  From the grocery store:  broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, and assorted peppers.  And some cubed firm tofu.

Cut it all up, throw it in a very large bowl, add EVOO and various herbs and spices, spread it out on a baking sheet, and roast for about half an hour.  And while that's happening, cook up some orzo.  Then add a cube of frozen homemade pesto to the steaming orzo.

And of course, drink wine while you are doing this.  It lends an air of sophistication to this "country" food.

All done?  Pile some orzo/pesto on a plate, scoop lots of roasted veggies on top, and sprinkle on some shredded mozzarella.  Pour another glass of wine.

Are you in love yet?  I am.

2 comments: