Saturday, April 5, 2014

Newspapers

For more years than I can count, I have read two newspapers every morning.  One is the local paper, the other is the largest state (NJ) paper.  I read the local one for obvious reasons:  who died, who got arrested, who raised some money for charity, who has what to say about local politics (and all politics is local, as we all know).  The state paper keeps me up to speed on all the political shenanigans in Trenton, most specifically of late, "Bridgegate."  (Full disclosure:  I am enjoying watching Christie go down.)  Both papers give me enough info on world and national news.  If I want more, I know how to google.

Whatever the topics, newspapers are part of my morning routine.  Put the coffee on, walk down to the bottom of the driveway, retrieve the two newspapers, then sit at the table with said coffee and papers and spend an hour.  It is hard for me to begin my day otherwise.

When I am away from home, as I was this past week, I can access the papers in digital format, and I usually do just that.  But this time, for whatever reason, I didn't.  I don't know, I was busy with painting and plumbing and cleaning and all sorts of "fun" stuff, so I just didn't make the time for my papers.  And guess what?  I didn't miss it!  (See previous post:  Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes)

But now I'm back, and I caught up with the news via my newspapers.  It all feels normal again.   Part of the news, however, was that The Star Ledger laid off 167 employees the other day.  This does not bode well.

You see, I am in love with actual newspapers!  I do not enjoy reading them digitally, any more than I would enjoy reading an ebook (which I did once).  Call me old school.  I want that big old black and white spread on my table, I want ink on the side of my hand, I want to rip out the page with the puzzles for later use, and I want to recycle my papers at the landfill.  Old habits die hard.

Just as my favorite magazine, Newsweek, went from print to digital a year or two ago, I can see the writing on the (Internet) wall regarding my newspapers.  Not much I can do about it, except to enjoy them while they are here.  And I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment