Monday, April 7, 2014

Seed Potatoes

Prepare yourselves, my followers.  (Both of you.)  From this point on, you will be subject to reading about me falling in love with all sorts of garden-variety things.  The snow has finally melted, and green stuff is sprouting up all over the place.  And it's a mess out there.  I'll need a good two weeks of sunny days to clean up the yard, the garden beds, the porches, and everything else that lives outside.  I'm ready.

While visiting my local farm store this morning to purchase a variety of cat food flavors to try to entice my cat to eat more, I became happily distracted by the bags of seed potatoes at the front of the store.  In particular, there was a bag of blue seed potatoes!  Last year, Wende (store manager and friend) was unable to get any, so my garden got only red potatoes.  Today, once I got over the shock of "Holy crap!  It's time to plant seed potatoes already?" I filled three paper sacks.  Red.  White.  And blue.  Call me patriotic.

I also purchased onion sets.  Red and white.  I don't know of any blue onions.

Potatoes and onions are two of the crops that I can harvest and store for consumption throughout the winter.  In fact, there are still some from last fall's harvest waiting to be roasted or sauteed.  I have to admit, the potatoes are looking a little limp at this point, and I am annoyed with myself that I did not make use of them earlier.  Not being one to waste anything, especially my garden produce, I think there will be a potato soup in my near future.

It's rather raw out there today, but I think there's a warm and sunny day coming up mid-week.  I will be out there, turning the soil, planting the seed potatoes in rows of red, white and blue and marking them accordingly.  And so it begins.  Preparing for the best time of year, a summer full of organic produce, right in my own back yard!  And it all begins with seed potatoes.  Miraculous things, don't you think?

4 comments:

  1. Hooray!!! Blue potatoes!!! We love your blog and are so happy to read about what you are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's two of us? 73 and I am still here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than two (although I'm a bit behind and skipped ahead--that's legal, right?). Huge fan of potato soup. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! There are at least four of us!

    ReplyDelete