Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Trees

Well, who isn't in love with trees, right?  This may not be the most original post, but out of 365 potential posts, I think Trees deserves a day.

And why didn't I choose a specific tree?  Why isn't this post titled Pine Trees or Maples or Sycamores?  Well, because if I was going to title the post according to which tree I fell in love with, I would have to title it Fake Tree.  And then neither one of you would read it.

My girlfriends and I did the Goodwill circuit today, looking for treasures to contribute to the shabby chic decor in this place.  For $30, we acquired a tree.  Ficus, maybe?  (Remember, shabby chic.)  The problem was that the height of the tree prevented it from being transported in the trunk of the rental car, so it rode home with its top branches hanging out of the back window and me scrunched up by its base in the back seat.  There is still a whooshing ringing in my ears from that ride.  But we made it back safely with no traffic violations.

Now, the tree was a little dusty when I bought it, and the thought of wiping down each individual leaf with a sponge was a daunting idea.  As we pulled into our parking lot, Kathy noticed that there is an area dedicated to washing a car and she pointed that out.  And then, in a nano-second, her lightbulb went on, and next thing I knew, we were hosing off the tree.  Don't worry; we took it out of the car first.  Dripping wet (both us and the tree), we hoisted our tree into the elevator and then into the condo, where our new resident dried off on the balcony.

And the tree looks great here!  Fills up an empty space that I hadn't known what to do with.  It has occurred to me that I should name the tree, especially since I am not even sure what kind of fake tree it is.  I think I will name it in honor of Kathy, who follows a certain law wherever she goes.  Murphy. The tree's name is now Murphy.

Down the road, I think I will have to devote more posts to Trees, because obviously, there is so much more to say.  About real trees, I mean.  For now, I am in love with Murphy, and I think he is loving me back for giving him a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment