Friday, November 7, 2014

Rearranging Furniture

There's a recurring dream that I have; maybe you have it, too?  In the dream, I am in some house from my past, but I discover that there are other rooms in the house that I never knew about.  Exploring these rooms, I find closets full of clothes or sets of furniture I didn't know I had.  I am deliriously happy with this new-found stuff, and the dream is so real that I am disappointed when I wake up to find that there are no newly-discovered caches of possessions for me to claim.

I had a variation of that dream last night.  (Or early this morning.  Who knows?)  Unfortunately, in this dream, everything was dirty and I was frantically trying to clean, only to have some new source of filth appear to ruin my efforts.

I am not one to ignore the signs, so yes, I cleaned the house today.  And I also rearranged some furniture in my bedroom.  There are two things I've learned about rearranging furniture: 

1.  I have to wait a few days before I can decide if I like the new arrangement.  Change takes some getting used to, and if I try to make an immediate assessment, I will put the furniture right back in its original place because I don't like the new arrangement.  If I wait a few days, I usually find that I get used to the new placement and that I actually like it.

2.  Once the above has been accomplished, I become happy and rejuvenated by the "new" room!  I return to it again and again, just to stare and tweak and beam with pride over my previously suppressed interior decorating skills.

And so it is today.  The changes I made weren't drastic, but it will take some getting used to.  I am inspired to rearrange the furniture in my head, too.  It might take some time to get used to, but I also might become happy and rejuvenated by the change.

But maybe that's another post . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment