Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pioneers

Flying over the Sierra Nevadas on a plane headed for San Francisco, I was struck by how endless and dreary the mountain range looks from the sky.  Trying to imagine the pioneers crossing this difficult passage was not something I could wrap my head around.

From the San Francisco airport, I boarded a puddle jumper to take me to Reno, where my son was picking me up for our California road trip adventure.  Across the aisle sat a young, adventurous woman from Romania who had the good (or bad) fortune to be sitting next to an older gentleman who was happy to give her a lesson or two in American history.  He was telling her about the pioneers who got stranded at Donner's Pass.  Whether he told her the part about the resulting cannibalism, I'm not sure, as his voice lowered the further into the story he got.  But the fact that she then plucked a magazine from the seat pocket tells me that she'd heard enough from this well-meaning gentleman.  Personally, I think a story about Lewis and Clark might have been more appealing.

My affection and respect today goes to the gutsy pioneers who headed west, facing all sorts of treacheries on their journey.  Their pluck and courage are incredible to imagine.

Today,  I crossed the country in less than six hours.  Amazing.

I'd like to think that the pioneer spirit will accompany Sam and me on this road trip.  No, we won't be traversing uncharted lands.  But we could discover some uncharted territory as we talk our way through the miles and miles that we will travel, sharing our past and our dreams.  But more importantly, I hope that we live in the moment, in the remarkable and adventurous present.  Just like the pioneers.

Brewpub in Susanville, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment