Monday, September 29, 2014

Sierra Nevada

Yes, I'm in love with the mountains.  And yes, I'm in love with the beer.  Twice the love.

Our road trip began in Reno and ended in Reno.  We journeyed northwest, then west, then south, then northeast.  The beginning and end of our travels took us through the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Miles and miles of Ponderosa pine, towers of evergreen praying skyward.  One can get used to such a majestic landscape and take it for granted, I suppose.  I, however, was hesitant to take my eyes away from the view out my passenger-side window.  I knew that our road trip would end soon, and although I love where I live on the East Coast, I would miss the pines that seemed to travel with us on this West Coast journey.  And the possibility exists that I may never see these mountains again.  (So many places to travel, so little time.)
Our last stop before returning to Sam's home-away-from-home was Chico, California, home to Sierra Nevada Brewery.  We arrived too late for the hourly tour, but in time for lunch, so we each ordered a "flight" to sample.  Four small beers, selected from about 16 possibilities.  I played it safe with my selections; Sam was adventurous.  But we both agreed that our lunch was the best restaurant meal we'd had on the entire trip and were pleased to learn that the Brewery uses local meat and produce.
I have a strong feeling that I will be buying Sierra Nevada beer at home for quite awhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment