Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Sweet Autumn Clematis



If you look closely, you can see the chain link fence beneath the flowering clematis.  This was always my intention . . . to hide the ugly chain link with the beautiful and fragrant clematis.  Originally, the chain link fence surrounded an in-ground pool.  Three years ago, I demo'd that pool, but kept the chain link fence (with some adjustments in size) to protect my vegetable gardens from the deer and bear which are prevalent around here.

In early September, Clematis Terniflora comes into bloom.  To me, it is summer's last glorious hurrah, softening the blow of the post-Labor Day blues.

So I mentioned that the fence was reduced in size.  The clematis did not get the memo, however, and continued to sprout up along the old lines of the fence.  Initially, I pulled the plants out, replanting in other areas around my property or giving these volunteers away to friends who'd admired the plant's beauty.  Again, the clematis didn't get the memo and continued to pop up.  Eventually, I gave up.  Clematis Terniflora is very insistent.
So this used to be a bench on the far end of the deck.  Did I mention insistent?  Oh, well, no one ever sat there anyway.

I did some research on Clematis Terniflora before writing this blog and came upon one site in which people had an opportunity to comment on the plant.  OMG!  The comments were divided between positive and negative . . . and they were overwhelming negative!  The reason?  The plant's invasive nature.  Apparently, it is an Asian import, not to be confused with the native Virgin's Bower.  Oh, well.

Despite the negativity, I am in love with Sweet Autumn Clematis!  It is beautiful, it is fragrant . . . and it is camouflaging the ugly chain link fence!  Of course, it is also taking over some other things, like my grill.

I'm a vegetarian.  I don't grill much, anyway.

No negativity.  I am in love with Sweet Autumn Clematis!

No comments:

Post a Comment