Saturday, September 13, 2014

Roommates

I think I have only had four roommates in my life (not counting family members) and only one of those, my first college roommate, was a mismatch.  Of my other two college roommates, which were both great, I am still in touch with one.  We may not see each other often (she lives in Georgia), but when we do, we just pick up where we left off.  I also had a roommate for my grad school residencies, and she and I are still in touch, over thirty years later.  In fact, I will be visiting her in Napa in about a week and a half.

As of today, I have a new roommate.  I guess I should say housemate.  One of my dearest friends, who until today lived down the street, moved into the upstairs loft temporarily.  She sold her house but is still employed locally until she decides to retire.  We've known one another for years, we've traveled together, we have never had a harsh word between us, so we think it will work out fine.

Meanwhile, as I am adjusting to Jenna and the cat having moved out, it will be nice to have someone else living here.  Also nice to have someone holding down the fort (as they say) when I am traveling.  It's a win-win.

I know there will be times when Kathy and I will be like two ships passing in the night.  But I also know that there will be other times when we will "catch up" over a bottle (or two) of wine or a six-pack (or two) of beer, and the next thing we know, it will be three o'clock in the morning.  (This has happened many times before.)  We just need to be sure this doesn't happen on a night before Kathy has to go to work or I have to catch a plane.

So Jenna walked out the door.  And Kathy walked in.  These doors just keep closing and opening.



No comments:

Post a Comment