Thursday, July 3, 2014

Dodging Hail

If my daughter's flight had been on time, I would have had to drive to Newark Airport in a hailstorm.  But her flight has been delayed.  In fact, as I type this post, she has not even reboarded the plane yet.  (They had been seated, but were made to deplane.)  She survived the nearly 14-hour flight from Sydney to Dallas (during which she was unable to sleep), but because of the storms here in the East, she is stuck at the airport in Dallas.

It's quiet now, a lull in the storm, I guess.  But there is no point in me going to the airport until I am sure that her flight has taken off.  So I am stuck here, as she is stuck there, waiting.  We are both tired, but unlikely to nap.

But I have to wonder . . . what if I had tried to drive in the hailstorm?  Additionally, I heard reports of three people in a nearby town being struck by lightening.  And I think there were some small tornadoes that touched down not too far from here.  It was one helluva storm!  So what if?  Is it a blessing in disguise that my reunion with my daughter is being delayed?

That remains to be seen.  Or not.  I suppose I will never know if I dodged a bullet.  And there could still be a bullet out there waiting for me.  Of course, that makes this moment no different than any other moment.

So I bide my time, waiting for word that she is on her way.  And then I will take my chances, along with everyone else, that this world is not done with me yet.

Tune in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment