Monday, July 21, 2014

Hawks Nest

I live in the northwestern corner of New Jersey, a hop,skip and a jump from New York State.  When I drive over "the mountain" (the highest point in New Jersey), I continue north to Bethel Woods, site of the Woodstock festival in 1969.  That's where I see a lot of concerts.  On the way, I drive over "Hawks Nest," a windy road that has been the setting for many a car commercial.  The road, Rt. 97, runs along the Delaware River, which separates New Jersey and New York from Pennsylvania.  It is a favorite ride of mine, especially when I have the top down on my convertible.

Hawks Nest is one of my favorite places on earth.  There are places to pull over on the twisty road to enjoy the view of the Delaware, and it is breathtaking.  There used to be a restaurant at the northern end of the road, and we dined there many times.  Unfortunately, it burned down some years ago and has never been replaced.  It was a biker bar, essentially, but also a comfortable and relaxing place to have a drink and a meal.  I miss it.

This morning, I was returning from Bethel Woods, where James Taylor put on a very satisfying performance last night.  I was heady from the concert, dinner and an overnight stay with friends, and a gorgeous summer morning.  I pulled over to gaze out at the grand Delaware River and felt blessed about where I live.  One does not have to drive far around here to find nature's glory.  The important thing to note is that we have to make a point of doing so, or it is wasted opportunity.



Summertime.  Take advantage of it.  Get out there and fall in love.


You don't need a red convertible to do so.  (But it helps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment