Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Qantas

Charlie: Ray, all airlines have crashed at one time or another, that doesn't mean that they are not safe.
Raymond: QANTAS. QANTAS never crashed.
Charlie: QANTAS?
Raymond: Never crashed.
Charlie: Oh that's gonna do me a lot of good because QANTAS doesn't fly to Los Angeles out of Cincinnati, you have to get to Melbourne! Melbourne, Australia in order to get the plane that flies to Los Angeles! 

That's from a classic scene in the movie Rain Man, in which Raymond refuses to get on a plane to fly from Cincinnati to LA.  Unless, of course, it's a Qantas flight.

I have flown Qantas, from the USA to Melbourne, and from Sydney to LA.  Airbus 380, a very big plane.  These flights did not crash, I am happy to report.  Right now, as I am typing this, my daughter is getting off Qantas Flight 5953 which flew from Cairns to Sydney.  At 11:20 tonight (my time), she will take off from Sydney on Qantas Flight 0007, landing in Dallas at 12:45 p.m. tomorrow.  I hope she is able to sleep.

Her last leg will be Qantas Flight 4361 (which is actually an American Airlines flight), leaving Dallas at 6:00 p.m. and arriving at Newark International Liberty Airport at 9:29 p.m.  I will be waiting for her at baggage claim.

So of course, I am in love with Qantas!  Qantas is bringing my Jenna home!  Now, I am not in love with Arthur, the hurricane that threatens to make my trip to the airport and back an unpleasant experience.  Hmmm . . . I wonder what Raymond would say about Arthur?

Raymond would say, "Are you taking any prescription medication?"

No comments:

Post a Comment