Friday, July 25, 2014

Glass Half

Empty or full?

This post marks the halfway point in my determination to fall in love with something every day for a year.  I will be the first to admit that on some days, it was a stretch, a chore, a bust, or a lie.  Ouch.  Well, maybe not a lie . . . but I'm still not sure I loved that stinkbug.

And how do I feel at this halfway point?  On the glass-half-full side, I am proud of myself for posting 182 days in a row.  I know that a couple of the posts were good ones, and I am grateful that the writing process allowed me to make the discoveries that I did.  On the glass-half-empty side, I am already thinking what the hell am I going to find to fall in love with for another 183 days?  And I admit to being exhausted that I'm only halfway done.

I am going to try not to dwell on that.  Take it one day at a time, as the cliche goes.  I am drawn back to the James Taylor song, Secret O' Life:

Nobody knows how we got
To the top of the hill.
But since we're on our way down,
We might as well enjoy the ride.


So I am on my way down.  Oh, dear, that sounds depressing!  But slide down I will, and I will take you with me, if you are willing to go.

Is the glass half empty or half full?  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  These are silly questions, of course, but they want very much to provoke a conversation, to engage us in a philosophical discussion of the meaning of life.  It is my personal belief that the meaning of life is different for each one of us.  Some of us think the glass is half full, and some of us go for a refill in order to deny that the glass is half empty.  I probably fall into the latter category.

What I know right now is that my blog is half-full and my blog is half-empty.  Tune in tomorrow to find out if the scales are tipped one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment