Saturday, July 19, 2014

Parsley, Sage, Cilantro and Thyme

Nope, the rosemary seeds didn't take this year.  But you remember what Stephen Stills told us all those years ago:  If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.  Sorry about you, Rosemary, but Cilantro is happy to step in.

My herb garden is abundant this year.  In addition to the sweethearts in the title, there're also chives, mint, oregano, and basil.  Even if I didn't actually use these herbs in my cooking, I would still be in love with their very presence in my gardens.

Before I gave up eating meat, I used to use parsley in meatballs, my Italian grandmother's recipe.  And in a similar recipe for meatloaf.  Now, parsley can be added to any number of dishes, from salads to eggs to breaded and sauteed artichoke hearts, a family favorite.  There is nothing like fresh parsley, but I am sure to freeze some in small portions to use in winter fare, like soups and pastas.  Such a versatile herb!  Fragrant, full of itself, confident.


I've never been a big fan of sage in cooking.  I recall using it in a stuffing recipe one Thanksgiving, and it was just too overpowering!  But I am in love with the idea of sage.  I know there was a time in my past when I felt it necessary to perform a sage smudging to cleanse the house of some bad karma.  I find it interesting that I do not recall what, exactly, that bad karma was.  So I guess it worked!  Anyway, a Google search tells me that essentially, a smudge ritual or a smudge ceremony is performed to correct the energy in a home, in an office, in an object, or even in a person. This is accomplished by burning sage or sage and a combination of herbs, in a focused, intentional way to cleanse out negative energy and to replenish positive, healing energy.  I am grateful that I have a ready supply of sage to take down the evil spirits if ever they try to infiltrate my home.

Cilantro!  Be still my heart!  At whatever point I became a fan of Mexican cuisine, cilantro ruled my taste buds.  Of course, once the odor which emanated from a stinkbug was compared to cilantro, that exaltation of cilantro took a hit.  But I still like it.  Cilantro is not easy to grow; at least that is what I've found to be true.  You can see in the picture that my cilantro has begun to blossom, which is not good.  But I refuse to pull it, as the flowers are delicate and inspiring, and there are still good leaves hiding out on the base of the plants.  Guacamole, anyone?

And then there's thyme.  Thyme and thyme again.  Take thyme to smell the roses.  Thyme heals all wounds.  Okay, I'll stop.  Wait . . . one more thyme . . . Who knows where the thyme goes?  Well, it goes into soups and sautes and sauces and anywhere you want.  And even if you don't cook with thyme, you cannot find a more fragrant, evocative, easy-going plant than thyme.  Pick a sprig, run your fingers across it backwards, and take in the aromatic magic of a simple herb.  And then do the same thing one more thyme.

I am in love with all my herbs.  They ask so little of me, and they provide so much culinary and sensual satisfaction.  Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

No comments:

Post a Comment