Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Clearance

I can make a dime dance.  (That's an expression my mother often used.)  You've heard me say it before:  there's a fine line between being frugal and being cheap.  I am always riding that line.




For me, shopping means walking into a store and heading for the clearance racks.  I'd say that most of my wardrobe (if you can call it that) comes off the clearance racks.  This past weekend, Jenna and I went to the Bass Outlet, and I bought two pair of jeans on the clearance racks.  They were listed at $72 each, but I paid $5.50 each.  I'd call that a good deal.  But even better:  Jenna bought a dress for $3.90.  And it looks really cute on her!


Today, I had to drive to the next town to buy cat food, so I decided to visit a few stores and see what they had on clearance.  Lucky me:  I found a quilt I've been wanting for a very long time finally on clearance.  Other than that, not much.  But that's okay.  One clearance item at a time is good.

But it all makes one scratch his/her head, doesn't it?  I could conceivably walk down the street and see someone wearing the same pants as I am.  But she might have paid $72 for hers, while I paid $5.50.  They're the same pants, but mine came with $66.50 in the pocket.

I know that there are a lot of people who think nothing of spending whatever they want on something they like.  And I'm not saying that I haven't spared all expense on a few things that were really coveted by me.  But clothes?  If they fit and they're comfortable, what difference does it make?

For me, I am in love with the possibilities that clearance provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment