Sunday, October 12, 2014

Eggplant

My garden produced several "mini eggplants," but only three regular ones.  That's two more than I get most years.  So it's a win.  I picked the last two this afternoon.
I've always found eggplant hard to grow, so this bounty made me very happy.

Guinea Squash.  Brinjal.  Melongene.  Aubergine.  Those are all names for what we know as eggplant.  And why in the world is it called eggplant?  Apparently, in the early 1700s, early European versions of eggplant were smaller and yellow or white in color.  They looked like hens' eggs.  Hence, the name.  I doubt if many people even think about the odd name for a purple vegetable.  Which, by the way, is technically a berry.  Yes, a berry.  Look at the seeds.

My daughter recently bought a couch.  The color was eggplant.

So what did I do with my two eggplant beauties?  Eggplant rollatini!  I roasted the slices instead of frying them, so it was all pretty easy.
I think it looks pretty yummy.  But how does it taste?  I think it tastes pretty yummy.  Like eggplant love.


No comments:

Post a Comment