Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Peppers

What will I do with them all?  And there are more in the garden!

These days, I am racing against the season, trying to get everything out of the garden before the first killing frost.  Well, not everything.  Kale, carrots, and beets will be fine for awhile longer.  The Brussels sprouts absolutely must experience a frost or two in order to sweeten them and make them palatable.  But the peppers will be the first to succumb to frost, turning black overnight.

So there it is, a basketful of peppers.  Don't be fooled by the shapes and colors; they are all sweet peppers.  Speaking of the colors, how beautiful are they?

The easiest thing to do is to remove the stem and seeds, slice or dice them, put them in a ziplock bag and pop them in the freezer.  Vegetable sautes and chilis will welcome them back in winter.  So that's what I'll do.  The work of it tires me before it even begins, but I know I will be grateful when I can make a meal in January that came from my garden.

Better get busy.  In order to fall in love with the task, I just might have to bite into a few of those little red ones.  Little sweet hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment