Sunday, October 26, 2014

Curio Shelf

I have several pieces of furniture that my father made.  End tables, blanket chests, jewelry boxes, a desk, a rocking horse, a grandfather clock.  These pieces are precious to me, and as much as I love the purity of wood finishes, I will confess to taking a paint brush to a couple of these pieces.  And I don't regret it.  In fact, I am in love with the results.

And so it is with my most recent refinishing project.  Stored in my attic for years, this curio shelf had seen better days.
I'm not sure just what color this orangy-red stain is, but my father must have had a large can of it, because nearly every piece of furniture I inherited has this less-than-appealing color.  (Sorry, Dad.)  So bring on the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint; in this case, pure white.

After cleaning up the piece, I applied two coats of paint.  It probably could have used a third coat, but I get impatient.  I removed the dirty black knobs in order to spray-paint them a coppery color.
And now the fun part.  The piece gets a waxing and then a sanding in order to antique it.  Final step is a buffing to bring out the sheen of the wax.

And here it is, ready for hanging on a wall.  What will I place on the shelves?  Well, that's a story for another blog post.  Let's see what I can fall in love with to showcase in my "new" curio shelf.


No comments:

Post a Comment