Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Nematodes

Beneficial Nematodes are microscopic, non-segmented roundworms that occur naturally in soil throughout the world. Inside the nematode's gut is the real weapon — symbiotic bacteria that when released inside an insect kill it within 24 to 48 hours. The nematodes enter the larvae via the mouth, anus, respiratory openings, or directly through the body wall of the pest. The nematodes then eject their symbiotic bacteria inside the pest's body. The bacteria multiply and cause blood poisoning of the pest, leading to death. The bacteria also convert host tissue into nutritive products, which can easily be taken up by nematodes. Inside the dead insect, the nematodes feed and multiply. As the food resources within the dead pest become scarce, the nematodes will exit the dead insect and immediately start searching for a new host (Arbico Organics).

Okay, I'm not usually this violent or sadistic, but those damn grubs left me no choice.  They destroyed about 50 onion sets in the spring and made me crazy trying to kill my cabbages and Brussels sprouts.  I hand-picked hundreds of them, digging up and replanting the cabbages and sprouts after scouring the soil for the little white curly-ques.  The other day, I was pulling out the spent broccoli plants when I spied them at work again.

You have to get the nematodes live, so going to a local box store was not an option.  I ordered my nematodes on an Internet site on Sunday.  Today is Tuesday, and they arrived on ice via FedEx.  They come on a sponge which you wet and squeeze into a bucket of water, then put into a sprayer or watering can.  I'd like to imagine that my little nematode friends are already seeking out the evil grubs and destroying their slimy little bodies.  Yes, call me sadistic.  I don't care.

I would like to say that I am in love with my nematodes, but I'm not sure they have earned that love yet.  And I'll probably have to fork over another $50 in the spring to seal the deal.  Since this 365-day blog will be completed by spring, I will have to fall in love today on faith.  Faith that the little guys will eliminate my grub problem and assure me some pest-free gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment