Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Innocuous Green Beans

My friend Emil was here the other day, delivering a used Gro-Light thingamajiggy that I bought from him.  We set it up in my greenhouse for next spring's seedlings, then sat on the porch with a beer to recover from our hard work in the hot sun and the hot greenhouse.  Before Emil left, I asked him if he would like some green beans from my garden.  No was all he said.

Then today, Jenna was telling me that she was going to visit her former lifeguard supervisor who has recently had back surgery.  I asked her if she wanted to bring him some green beans.  She said, "I don't know if he likes green beans."

"Everyone likes green beans!" I retorted.  "Is there a more innocuous veggie than a green bean?"

"Yes," Jenna countered.  "Carrots."

I suppose that's possible.

I have a boatload of beans.  This afternoon, I blanched, cooled, and packaged a couple of pounds of them to freeze for the winter.
My favorite thing to do with my frozen green beans is to put them right in the boiling water with the pasta, then serve with some homemade tomato sauce.  It's a quick and easy and very satisfying winter meal.

I don't know, I just can't comprehend how anyone could not like a green bean.  As for me, on the 200th day of falling on purpose, I am in love with them, of course.

(Postscript:  After posting this, I did look back to see that I fell in love with green beans on June 2.  It is getting harder and harder not to repeat myself.  Please forgive me and focus on the innocuous part of this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment