Friday, August 8, 2014

Windowboxes

I think I've mentioned before that now that I am over six months into this challenge of falling in love everyday, there are days when the question What the hell am I going to fall in love with today? just nags and nags at me.  I mean, the best days are when something just appears to me or occurs to me with no effort on my part.  You know, like when your cat leaves half a baby bunny on the floor.  But on the ordinary days, I have to be on the lookout, and as the day wears on, I begin to stress that I won't find anything!  Today is one of those days.  So I took a walk around my property, looking for something.

Here's what I discovered:  I love pretty much everything on my property!  Minus the wasps and weeds, it's all quite nice to my eyes.  But the trick with this blog is that I want to fall in love every day.  Already loving something isn't the same thing.  With this in mind, I continued my tour and found this:


And I fell in love.

The simple windowbox!  What an eye-pleasing adornment!  My front porch has five windowboxes on three windows (two of the windows are doubles) and they are planted quite simply.  Most years, it's impatiens or petunias with some ivy or vinca or spikes thrown in.  It's enough.  The petunias have lasted into December some years, believe it or not!  When I can finally clean out the boxes, I fill them with evergreens, boxwood, holly, red berries, pine cones and tiny white lights.  A cheerful welcome on a wintry night.

But it is summer now, and my windowboxes are full of blossom and exuberance.  They don't ask for much, just a watering every other day.  None of that suspicious blue miracle stuff.  They seem happy enough.

And they make me happy enough.  Like I'm in love.



No comments:

Post a Comment