Sunday, August 24, 2014

Potato Harvest

That title should probably read Potato Famine, judging by how many potatoes I actually harvested.  I looked back through this blog to see that on April 7, I was all excited about the seed potatoes I was going to plant.  I remember cutting and curing the seed potatoes . . . and then something, whether it was my memory or the weather or some other distraction, prevented me from getting the cured potatoes into the ground in a timely fashion.  Consequently, my potato crop is rather pathetic.  Here it is in its entirety:
Well, that's minus the "new" potatoes that I used for tonight's dinner, but it still would look pathetic even if those potatoes were in the mix.

Whatever.  I am going to fall in love with the potatoes I have, not the potatoes I wish I had.  And if tonight's dinner was any indication, these potatoes are worth falling in love with.  I took the tiniest members of the crop, sliced them thin, and sauteed them along with garden tomatoes, peppers, red onion, and chard.  Added some store-bought mushrooms and eggs, scrambled it all up, and voila!  Dinner!  It was to die for, trust me.

So there's a lesson here, isn't there?  Stephen Stills' song Love the One You're With is playing in my head.  Followed by the Rolling Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want.  I'd hoped for a bumper crop of potatoes.  I got what you see in the picture.  But I made a delicious dinner out of my harvest, and I will make a few more.  And that will be good enough.

Good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment