Sunday, August 31, 2014

Tempus Fugit

Was it really 30 days ago that I posted Carole King's The First Day in August?  Wow.  And here it is, the last day in August.  Tempus fugit!

Having spent over 2/3 of my life in a public school system, the dread of the aftermath of Labor Day weekend is hard-wired in my brain.  Even after I retired, I was still subject to eleven more years of my kids having to return to school at the end of the summer.  All these years later, I still have to remind myself that summer does not end the day after Labor Day.  There are still two or three more weeks of summer on the calendar.

Wait.  What?  Two or three weeks?  That's it?  Yikes!  Why is it that just at the point that I am ready to finally relax and enjoy summer, it's over?  I feel like I spend nearly all of it getting ready for it.  The lawn, the gardens, the mulch, the plantings, the weeding, the watering . . . my daily to-do list, every day, is too full for relaxation.

And now here we are, September knocking at the door.  Tempus fugit!

Yes, time flies.  I swear, there is a warp in time as we know it.  Days and weeks stretch out forever when we are young, but they speed up as we age.  It's true.

So what am I in love with today?  Certainly not the idea that time flies!  How about this?  I do not have to return to school on Tuesday!  Yes.  That is indeed worthy of my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment