Saturday, August 16, 2014

Tomato Sandwiches

I am going to eat a tomato sandwich every day for the next month at least.  I don't even need the lettuce, although I could dig some up if I wanted to.  Mayonnaise?  I try to avoid it, but sometimes, there's nothing better on a tomato sandwich.  Hummus or avocado are better choices, but not always as readily available.

Hey, it's the tomato that matters.  At this time of year, I need to get my fill of garden tomatoes, because I will not buy those tomato imposters in the supermarkets in the winter.  I can roast, dry, and sauce my garden tomatoes for use in the winter, but a tomato to slice into a sandwich?  That only happens now.

As my Brandywine and Rutgers tomatoes are still a couple of days away from the perfect red color, I have been slicing my green zebra tomatoes for my sandwiches.  Once you can get past the color, their texture and flavor are the equivalent of any good red tomato.  My bread of choice is a rosemary focaccia, lightly toasted.

When I was very young, I was apparently allergic to tomatoes.  Can you believe it?  I broke out in hives after eating them.  For whatever reason, the allergy didn't stick, and for that, I am very grateful. 

I would post a picture of my tomato sandwich, but as you could probably guess, I ate it.  Right after I fell in love with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment