Friday, August 15, 2014

Itineraries

I am a planner.  I love calendars.  I love road maps.  I love researching hotels, tourist sites, restaurants, brewpubs.  And I am ready for a road trip!


My son headed out to California two and a half months ago.  In another month, I will fly out to visit him, and he and I will undertake a road trip.  Don't even get me started on how happy it makes me that my 22-year-old son is willing and happy to take a road trip with his 64-year-old mother.  Yeah, yeah, I know . . . Mom will pay for most of it, so of course he's willing.  Well, there's more to it than that.  Sam and I get along pretty well these days.  We like the same music, we can talk about anything, and we are both eager to see as much of this land as we can.  I am very optimistic that we can pull this off.

I worked out an itinerary today that I think nails it.  (This is the 5th or 6th itinerary I've done for this trip.)  There are mountains (Lassen, Shasta), bodies of water (the Pacific, Lake Tahoe), national parks (Lassen, Muir Woods, Yosemite), cities (Redding, Napa, San Francisco), small towns (Arcata, Mendocino, Big Sur, Wawona), wine country (Napa), baseball (SF Giants), and miles and miles of scenic highways.  We have a balanced combination of hotels, campsites, and stays with friends.  Oh, I'm getting excited just writing about it!

Itineraries are about dreams.  They speak of a future that's exciting and hopeful.  They are full of anticipation and curiosity.  What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment