Friday, December 26, 2014

Boxing Day

As if Christmas weren't enough, the day after is a celebration in and of itself, depending on where you live.  You've probably heard of Boxing Day, but maybe you didn't know what it was.  In some countries, it's a practice whereby workers in the service industries are given boxes of gifts from those they've served.  But some churches also honor Boxing Day by taking donations from parishioners and then breaking open the box of cash on December 26 and doling it out to the poor.  In South Africa, the day was officially named Day of Goodwill a couple of decades ago.  In Ireland, the day is known as Day of the Wren and many Catholics celebrate the day as St. Stephen's Day.  Get out your old book of Christmas carols and sing along to Good King Wenceslas to get a better idea of that one.  In many European countries, the day is called Second Christmas Day and seems to refer to all the sales and gift returns/exchanges that happen on the day after Christmas.

And just in case that's not enough celebration for you, the day marks the beginning of Kwanzaa.

And I thought we were done!

Being in a state of relief that I survived another Christmas, I was unsure what to fall in love with today.  But Boxing Day seems to have the right idea.  After all the excesses of Christmas, beginning on the Thanksgiving Shopping Day and its twin, Black Friday, we could use a day which is dedicated to those less fortunate.  I think I will use this day to write out my annual checks to selected non-profits and organizations that do good work.

So Happy Boxing Day to you!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete