Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Small Things

There's a part of me (that organized, predictable, and yes, anal-retentive part) that wishes I'd begun this blog on January 1 of this year.  For one thing, I'd be done after this post.  But more importantly, it would all be so perfect, you know, to be able to say, "I wrote a blog post every single day in 2014" or something like that.  Alas, Matthew didn't send me the Billy Collins poem that begat this blog until later in the month, so I will be continuing until January 24.  So keep tuning in.  Please?

Despite all of that, I am, of course, somewhat reflective on this year of 2014, which will be over in a few hours.  I cannot dismiss the highlights of the year:  my youngest child's college graduation, seeing the Northern Lights in Iceland, my wandering daughter's return from a year in Australia, my northern California road trip, visiting my oldest daughter in Florida, winning Dirt magazine's "Most Creative Garden" award.  These are all good things, and recalling them allows me to feel pretty good about the year.  In fact, I'm feeling a bit guilty about having complained about anything along the way, which I know I've done.

But I am more reflective on the small things.  Writing this blog has compelled me to pay attention to things I might have ignored:  animal tracks in the snow, laundry on a clothesline, dragonflies, the various slants of sunlight, the phases of the moon.  I have paid closer attention to the uniqueness of the flowers that have enhanced my summer life:  crocus, daffodil, myrtle, forsythia, ajuga, lady's mantle, columbine, rhododendron, primrose, tiger lily, morning glory, echinacea, black-eyed Susan, sunflower, clematis, foxglove.  (Don't those very names sound beautiful?)  I have written my way through acceptance of the death of my cat.  I have celebrated covered bridges, icicles, sagebrush, garlic scapes, the Viking Spirit, coastlines, and the dirt beneath my nails.

My life is far from perfect.  But in reflection, I can be thankful for all the things, both big and small, that are allowing me to bid farewell to 2014 with a grateful heart and a reason to continue.

And for those of you that followed along, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete