Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Hobbits

I did not discover the work of J.R.R. Tolkien until I was out of college.  Crying my way through my first year of teaching in a small town in northern Pennsylvania, I do believe that hobbits, elves, dwarves, and wizards kept me sane during that long winter.  It was easy enough to breeze through The Hobbit, but The Lord of the Rings trilogy was an exercise in focus and the willing suspension of disbelief.  I cannot think about that difficult year (which included my father's untimely death) without remembering the solace I took in vicariously living in Middle-earth.

And I carried the love with me after I left that job.  I acquired two Irish Setters and named them Brandybuck and Strider.  I collected the Brothers Hildebrandt calendars of all things Hobbit.  I cheered when Led Zeppelin sang songs (Ramble On, Misty Mountain Hop) with Hobbit references.  I indulged in a world of fantasy that even took me beyond Tolkien into a love of unicorns and crystals and all kinds of things New Age.  Having encountered adulthood during the Vietnam Conflict, I was not the only one my age trying to exist in a world of fantasy as opposed to the reality from which we were still trying to recover.

A year ago yesterday, my kids and I began a road trip down the east coast of Australia.  We traveled from Yungaburra in the rainforests of Queensland down to Sydney in time for New Year's Eve.  It was in Sydney that we saw the newly released The Desolation of Smaug at an IMAX theater.  In 3D.  Yes, it was very, very cool.

Midnight last night marked the release of the last of The Hobbit films.  The Battle of the Five Armies will end the cinematic journey of Bilbo and his cohorts.  No, I didn't line up at a nearby theater to catch the midnight showing, but I will definitely try to catch the film at some point this week.  Maybe even in 3D.  A review I read likened it to playing video games, something I am not familiar with, but I think I owe it to my younger hobbit-loving self to see this thing through.

Last year, my wandering daughter Jenna spent some time in New Zealand.  She got to visit the Hobbiton set where the movies were filmed.  One look at this picture and you will see why I am in love again with hobbits.




1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete