Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Jordan

No, I have never been to Jordan.  But this evening, I picked my daughter up at the airport, and I learned a lot about Jordan on the drive home.  Jenna, the wanderer, spent the last week in Amsterdam, Jordan, and Paris.  And it was Jordan that captured her heart.

The fact that she was ten kilometers from the Syrian border might make a mother take pause . . . but she insists that she felt safe the entire time she was there.  Xenophobia is just not a word in her vocabulary.  She embraced the culture fully.  And she is already plotting a return.

Upon our return home, she offered pistachio treats, demonstrated how to wear a traditional head scarf, and detailed all the highlights of her adventure.  She rode a camel.  She did not smoke a hookah (although that is a popular pastime in Jordan). She explored the ancient city of Petra by herself.  She traveled to a monastery on a donkey.  She swam in The Dead Sea.

Here, you can see the facial that she received at The Dead Sea.  She seems pretty happy about it, doesn't she?

The most stunning thing that Jenna told me on the drive home was how much she appreciates the slower pace of life in the countries she has visited.  And I am not surprised about that observation.  Seriously, what the hell are we doing here?  Christmas shopping on Thanksgiving?  Road rage?  Tailgating?  Getting in line for the latest technology?  Ugh!

I could easily fall in love with a slower pace.  So today, I will fall in love vicariously with a different culture.  I will fall in love with Jordan, a place I have never been, but one that has just been added to my bucket list.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete