Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Munchie Dinner

Have you ever been at a party or a reception where the appetizers were so good, you'd rather pig out on them than sit down for a meal?  But instead, you nibble sparingly in order not to ruin your appetite for the main feast?

Well, nuts to that.  Although I don't remember how it started, for many, many years, our family has had a Christmas Eve tradition we call Munchie Dinner.  Although the offerings have changed over the years to account for different tastes and preferences, some things remain the same.  Of course there's always cheese and crackers and veggies and dip, but the main dish, the one we could never do without, is the breaded and sauteed artichoke hearts.  This was an appetizer that my grandmother always prepared, and then my mother, and now me.  And I think Jenna is ready to take over the assignment.

When the kids were little, they loved the idea of eating in the living room in front of the fire, nibbling from an assortment of plates overcrowding the coffee table.  It was at this time, too, that we would open our gifts to one another so as not to get them confused with Santa's gifts the next morning.

It was our tradition.

Tonight, there were only three of us to carry on the tradition.  Pete is gone twelve years now, my mother four, and Sam is in California.  So the girls and I munched and drank and laughed and cried and opened our presents.  We talked to Sam on speakerphone, and for a moment, it seemed like he was in the room with us.

I hope that one day, there will be more people crowded around the coffee table on Christmas Eve.  But whether two or twelve, there will always be the artichoke hearts.   And the love in our hearts, too.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete