Monday, December 29, 2014

Oregano

I am old enough to remember a time when a shady drug dealer might sell you a nickel bag of oregano and be long gone before you discovered his deception.  Other than that misuse of the herb, I have always been a fan.  In fact, I've had a bed of oregano in my perennial herb garden for many years.  I like that I can always count on it to advance wild and crazy as the summer lengthens.  I feel a twinge of guilt when I have to cut it back, thinking that I should be giving the springs of herbal essence away to passersby.  It's just that, where I live, I never have any passersby.

Other than using it in tomato sauce and on pizza, oregano is my herb of choice to blend in with olive oil on cut-up veggies that I am preparing to roast.  Such was the case today, after I'd cut up peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, red onion, and carrots.  A look in the pantry reminded me of what I'd forgotten to put on my grocery list.  There was no oregano.

Now I know I just told you that I grow my own.  But you see, I just never seem to remember to hang some sprigs to dry in a cool, dark place before the frost comes to claim my herb garden.  My bad.

Cursing my lack of foresight, I tore the pantry apart, searching for a small lost bottle of oregano magic.  And then I spied a container that I'd forgotten about.  Inside were tiny packets of spices, remnants from some convenience package that promised you a home-cooked meal with everything included.  Right down to the spices.  And there it was:  a tiny, one-square-inch cellophane box of oregano.

I lovingly sprinkled it onto the mound of oiled veggies in the bowl, then spread the mixture on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  They are ready to go into the oven now.  And I am saved.

Will I remember to harvest my oregano next autumn?  We'll see.  Meanwhile, I am writing oregano on my grocery list.  Because if you don't have oregano, where is the love?

2 comments:

  1. No love for oregano just anaphylactic shock! I guess I won't be getting a dinner invite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete