Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Digging a Hole

Snow and freezing rain are in the forecast for this afternoon and evening, so this morning, I got out my shovel and began digging the hole.  It wasn't easy.  Rocks and stubborn tree roots made the chore difficult.  I can't say that the tears freezing on my cheeks helped any, either.  Nor did my runny nose. 

I placed a couple of heavy boards over the hole and a planter on top of them, put away my shovel, and went back inside.

She is dying.  And she is taking her time about it.  Last night, I slept on an air mattress next to the towel she was sleeping on downstairs.  I was certain she would die during the night.  But this morning, she made her way upstairs and asked to go outside.  Although I obliged her, it was a nervous two hours until she came back.  I vowed to keep her inside for the rest of her time.

And then I broke that vow.  Her insistent meows, weak as they are, compelled me to open the door again.  I grabbed my coat and followed her down the driveway.  I was about 15 feet away when she seemed to disappear.  I am fairly certain that she is in the drainpipe at the base of the driveway.  There's water in the pipe, maybe a couple of inches, and that's where she has decided to hide.  There isn't anything I can do about it now.

This morning, there was something I could do.  I could dig a hole.  It took all the love I have to do so.

It is so hard, this letting go.  As hard as stomping on the shoulder of the shovel's blade, as hard as the rocks in the almost-frozen earth, as hard as the tangled web of tree roots, as hard as the resolve to do what needs to be done.

As hard as love.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. A very heartfelt and touching tribute today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete